People find ways to misuse products in ways the manufacturers never intended their usage. Spray paint, for example, was misused when teens back in the ’70s smelled or sniffed it to get high.
Many other examples of manufacturers had to change ingredients to offset an unintended consequence of misuse. Today, the latest challenge centers around the ingredient propylhexedrine in over-the-counter nasal decongestants.
https://www.newsmax.com/health/health-news/fda-otc-decongestant-benderex/2021/03/26/id/1015268/. Nasal sprays can contain propylhexedrine, a chemical that acts as a decongestant. This chemical is also used to suppress appetites as well as a psychostimulant in some medicines.
The United States Food & Drug Administration recommends that manufacturers modify the chemical’s quantity to make it more difficult for people to abuse it.
https://www.fda.gov/safety/medical-product-safety-information/benzedrex-propylhexedrine-drug-safety-communication-fda-warns-abuse-and-misuse-nasal-decongestant. The Food & Drug Administration tells us that propylhexedrine is safe and effective to treat congestion, hay fever, and upper respiratory allergies when used as directed. Some people have found that swallowing the contents of a nasal decongestant can cause heart attacks and lung injuries. Instances have been found where the decongestant was injected into the blood veins.
https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/fda-warns-abuse-and-misuse-nasal-decongestant-propylhexedrine-causes-serious-harm. Fast or abnormal heart rhythm, high blood pressure, and paranoia are potential symptoms of misusing nasal decongestants with propylhexedrine. Hospitalization is possible, along with some level of disability. In a few cases, death is possible.
Benzedrex is the nasal decongestant containing propylhexedrine. It is legal to buy and safe when used as directed. This is another case of a few people misusing a product that causes most people to take notice.
I do not know why a person would inject a nasal decongestant or swallow a whole body of it. My mind does not work that way. There are many things that people do that do not make sense to me. But that is the world we live in today.
This product has been around for 60 years, and a few people found a novel approach to ruining their health. If you do not swallow your bottle of nasal spray after opening it, or inject it into your veins, you have nothing to worry about. However, if you discover that a bottle or two of Benzedrex is missing and you have kids, you might heed this warning.
Live Longer & Enjoy Life! – Red O’Laughlin – RedOLaughlin.com